We have been providing complete Atascadero weed abatement services since 2004, including:
- Weedeater services that are effective for spaces that are too small for a tractor, where there is landscaping to preserve or where more detailed weed abatement is needed, such as along fence lines. Other terms for weedeating include weed whacking, string or line trimming, edge trimming or whipper snipping,
- Mowing, accomplished with a tractor and a flail mower is a cost-effective and efficient method for removing and controlling weeds and shrubs on acreage, large lots, pastures, and other open spaces.
- Defensible space is the amount of space, defined in zones, that fire authorities advise is necessary to protect structures, property and lives in the event of a wildfire.
We deliver customer satisfaction through integrity, hard work and quality service year after year. We use the highest-grade equipment that allows us to get your job done safely, efficiently and cost-effectively. Our equipment includes:
- Tractor towed flail mower because dry and flammable plant material can be mowed to a safe height quickly and thoroughly, extending the reduced fuel zone a distance beyond the recommended 100-feet for Zone 2. A flail mower reduces the risk of damage from flying debris. In many circumstances flail mowing is more efficient and practical than other methods such as riding mowers or livestock grazing and avoids many of the common issues of inaccessible slopes and hills and destroying root systems leading to erosion.
- The 336FR Brushcutter is powerfully ruthless on weeds in smaller spaces. The 33.6 cc X-Torq® engines uses less fuel, emits less exhaust and is easy on the environment.
- We keep our staff safe with personal protection gear (PPE) that includes the heavy-duty harness to help support the brushcutter and relieve strain on the operator’s body.
- Other PPE includes high-quality respirators, protective eyewear and shields, protective headgear, hearing protection, chaps to protect against debris and protective gloves.
Our services can help by:
- Creating defensible space to protect property, structures and lives from wildfire
- Managing the height of grass in pastures and open spaces
- Invasive and toxic weed management
- Clearing land and keeping weeds and overgrowth under control on fallow land
- Adding to the curb appeal of lots and land for sale through weed abatement
How else do we protect you and our team?
- General Liability: $2,000,000
- Automobile Insurance: $1,000,000
- Our team is protected by Workers Compensation Insurance
- Each crew vehicle has a fire extinguisher and other essential tools on-board
- Each tractor carries both 2.5 gallon water extinguisher and a fire extinguisher
Defensible space is made up of three zones that are defined as:
Zone 0 is the area immediately around buildings, decks, and other structures and extends up to 5-feet from each structure. The purpose is to create a space that is as resistant to embers starting a fire as possible. Using non-combustible hardscaping like gravel or slate, removing dead leaves, dry grass, and landscaping with appropriate low-growing plants, and using non-combustible furnishings and décor on decks are some of the recommendations for creating this zone.
Zone 1 extends 30-feet from buildings, decks, and structures, or the end of the property line. Some of the recommended steps to take to create Zone 1 include removing dead and dry plants, grass, and other vegetation, trimming trees and removing branches that are hanging over roofs, creating 10 feet of space between trees and creating safe spaces between trees, shrubs, firewood and other materials that could catch fire.
Zone 2, a reduced fuel zone extending from 30-feet to 100-feet from buildings and structures on the property, or to the property line. Creating a reduced fuel zone means mowing grass to at least 4-inches, creating clearances around woodpiles and propane tanks creating safe vertical and horizontal spaces between shrubs, trees, grass, leaves, twigs, and other debris that is over a certain depth.
Why Atascadero needs weed abatement
The area of Atascadero was originally called “tsiskikive,” by the ancestors of the Chumash and Salinan people, translating into “a place of much water.” The more modern name is the Spanish word “atascadero,” translating to bog or mire. Although both names hint that the region may have been fertile with natural water sources, today the City of Atascadero and surrounding countryside is just as arid as the rest of the northern part of San Luis Obispo County and just as vulnerable to fire. In fact, city fire regulations require that weed abatement and defensible spaces be completed by June 1 of each year.
The June 1 date also applies to rural areas surrounding Atascadero and in all of San Luis Obispo County. Most incorporated cities in the county enforce the June 1 date as well.
The City of Atascadero residential areas are a mix of homes on typical residential lots and homes occupying acres of land, even some small farming operations. Ant’s Tractor Mowing is equipped and ready with the most effective tools to quickly and thoroughly take care of those pesky weeds before the June 1 deadline.
Born and raised on the Central Coast, owner Anthony Elisarraras, is committed to providing the highest-quality weed abatement and defensible space services available. Anthony acquired the company from his father, who started it with a recycled Caltrans mower in 2004. Since taking over the company, Anthony implemented PPE for the team, updates equipment annually, and regularly updates safety and abatement procedures to meet CalFire guidelines.
The GPS coordinates for Atascadero are: 35° 29′ 21.9048” N and 120° 40′ 14.6028” W.
We offer free estimates for your convenience.
Ant’s Tractor Mowing provides tractor mowing and the heavy-duty weed abatement services that are necessary to create defensible space that protects homes, businesses, and farm or ranch structures.